I’ve been lying around the apartment sick with a cold for the past two days. Since I’m only mildly to moderately ill, I haven’t taken any medication. I have, however, consumed what I call the Sick Drink, a concoction devised by my Boyfriend’s Russian Jewish dad, in an effort to sweat out my cold. Since I’m not a medical professional, I can’t explain exactly how “sweating it out” is an effective treatment. However, if you find yourself with cold-like symptoms, don’t like popping pills, and have the luxury of lounging around for a few hours, try this recipe:
- Make a cup of hot tea. Black tea is ideal.
- Add 1 Tbsp of honey. Stir until there is no honey left on the spoon.
- Add 1 Tbsp of cognac.
- Juice ¼ of a lemon into the mixture.
- Swaddle yourself in a thick blanket.
- Drink the mixture.
- Sweat for at least half an hour before taking blanket off.
- Repeat three times a day.
If you don’t feel better within a few days, you can blame it on the Jews.