Most people probably wouldn’t put Italy and China in the same cultural basket, but after years of observing people from both countries, I’ve noticed some unexpected similarities:
- Celebration of eating—food is meant to be enjoyed in large quantities with large quantities of family and friends. You will never find an Italian or Chinese with an eating disorder.
- Relative lack of obesity compared to the US—if you go to Italy or China, you will not see fat people, probably because they’re locked up.
- Explosive tempers—and with it, a penchant for loud, endless arguing.
- Covert but underlying misogyny—women are allowed to have jobs but not allowed to be unattractive, overweight, or, if unmarried, over age 30.
- Kids live with their parents until they’re like 40—there is no reason to cook, clean, or do your own laundry when your mother happily does it all for you.